Çemberlitaş

After the conquest of Istanbul, Çemberlitaş was one of the most important and popular districts during the Ottoman era. The settlement included wooden houses and historical buildings but was damaged by frequent fires. Most of them have survived until today through  restoration but unfortunately many of them were destroyed.

Çemberlitaş (Column of Constantine) Because of the capital city changed from Rome to Constantinople in A.D. 330, the Column of Constantine  in Çemberlitaş was erected in the middle of a big oval area located on the second hill of the city in honor of Constantine. The area, known as the Forum of Constantine, was surrounded by galleries with columns. Çemberlitaş has also been known as the burnt pillar. It is now shorter than its original form. There used to be a statue of Constantine the Great posing like the sun god on top of the column. The porphyry blocks of the pillar were wrapped with  iron rings because it had cracked over time due to fires. The marble capital dates from the  12th century, and the built up part below dates from the  18th century. It was believed that there was a small room at the bottom including relics from early Christianity. The main way passing by it has been used since Constantine the Great.

Atik Ali Pasha Külliyesi (Social Complex)
Located on Janissary Street in Çemberlitaş, Atik Ali Pasha Social Complex is one of the oldest Ottoman works in İstanbul. It was built by Grand Vizier Hadım Atik Ali Pasha in 1496.  It has a mosque, madrasah and tomb but its imaret, caravanserai and lodge have not survived to the present day. Atik Ali Pasha Mosque was made of kufeki ashlars in an upside-down T plan. At the skirts of the great dome, which is 24 m high and 12.50 m. wide, there are  16 windows.  The dome stands on four giant pillars. This dome is supported by four small domes and a giant half dome from the mihrab (chancel) side. The mihrab and mimbar (pulpit) were made of white marble. The congregation pew has 5 domes. There is a single balcony minaret on the right. There is an unknown tomb and some marble graves from the 17th century in its enclosed graveyard. The madrasah is on the opposite side of the mosque.
Çemberlitaş Turkish Bath (Living Section. P.234)

Koca Sinan Pasha Public Fountain
Koca Sinan Pasha is known as the conqueror of Yemen and Tunis. There are a tomb, madrasah and  public fountain in the social complex. The architect was Davut Ağa. The grave stones in the social complex are significant. It has a distinctive octagonal. public fountain with a wide conical roof. It was based on a marble platform which is a half meter high and has pillar capitals decorated with muqarnases, wrought iron, and five water spigots from five windows.

Merzifonlu Kara Mustafa Pasha Külliyesi (Social Complex)
Merzifonlu Kara Mustafa Pasha Public Fountain Protruding as if it were challenging the construction plan, the public fountain of Merzifonlu Kara Mustafa Pasha Social complex, built In Çarşıkapı in 1684, is one of the biggest, the most beautiful and the latest of the classical public fountains.

 

İstanbul Conquest Society Yahya Kemal Institute
Active for 55 years, the Istanbul Conquest Society is one of the longest established foundations of the  historical peninsula. At the beginning, its name was the 500th Conquest Anniversary and later the  Istanbul Celebration Society, including the Yahya Kemal and Istanbul Institutes. The society bought the  rights to Yahya Kemal's private belongings after his death and built the Yahya Kemal Institute. Nuruosmaniye Caddesi This street is located in Cağaloğlu and witnessed many important events in Ottoman history. Along this street, there are still many carpet shops, jewelry stores and  souvenir shops. It is a frequented by many tourist groups and is one of the major centers of Istanbul.  The street leads to the Grand Bazaar.

Nuruosmaniye Mosque and Külliyesi (Social Complex)
This mosque is at the entrance of the Grand Bazaar. The complex was started in 1749, during the reign ofSultan Mahmud the First, but could not be completed until 1755. The architect of the complex was Sinan Kalfa. It is composed of a baroque style mosque, madrasah, imaret, library, tomb, fountain, and public fountain. Also, a few shops nearby belong to it. The Nuruosmaniye Mosque has a distinctive place in Ottoman mosque architecture. It is an absolutely unique baroque style masterpiece especially with its three dimensional stone decorations. It has  only one dome with thirty windows at the skirt. The mosque is lit with 174 windows. The scriptures on the dome and walls are the most significant elements as interior decoration. It has two minarets with two balconies. For the first time, stone ensigns instead of lead were used on top of these minarets. The madrasah and the imaret are located on the north of the mosque, so when it is entered from the Grand Bazaar side they are on the right. The position of these altogether forms a crescent shape. The public fountain is on the right of the complex entrance gate. The fountain and public fountains were dominated by the baroque style. The tomb and library stand behind the sultan's pew. The Nuruosmaniye Library, located in the mosque courtyard together with its elegant building, is still serving readers with its precious handwritten work. It includes almost 7.600 valuable books.

PİYER LOTİ
Pierre Loti was born in Rochefort, France in1850. He became a naval officer in 1873 after finishing Maritime School. He came to Istanbul In 1876 as a naval officer and stayed  for almost eight months. Pierre Loti wrote that he was fascinated by this city and found the real peace here he was seeking. Loti fell in love with Istanbul and an Ottoman girl. He was always a beloved friend of  the Turks and the Turks have always known and remembered his friendship. Pierre Loti rented a house in Hasköy first but later began to reside on the Divanyolu. The street where his house was  and a café around the Eyüp Graveyard were named after him.