Divanyolu

DİVANYOLU

Divanyolu (the Way of the Council) took its name from “divan-ı hümayun” (the council of ministers), which met in Topkapı Palace. The members of this council used this road while going to and from the palace. On the Divanyolu, the "main street" of the Empire, there are various remnants of the Roman and Ottoman Empires. The Divanyolu was the beginning point of the Mese, meaning the main street of this city was built as part of Eastern Rome by the Emperor Constantine. On this main street, in Çemberlitaş, Beyazıt and Aksaray, there were squares then like today. In Aksaray, this main street bifurcated; the south end extended towards Yedikule and the north one to Edirnekapı. The Ottomans preserved the street between Beyazıt and Sultanahmet, and called it the Divanyolu since the viziers, soldiers and other officials passed on this way on their way to or from the Divan-ı Hümayun (Council of Ministers) in the Palace. Because Janissaries also passed this way, later the part between Çemberlitaş-Beyazıt was named after them.

HACI BEŞİR AĞA FOUNTAIN

The water, kept in reservoirs and cisterns by the Byzantines was brought into use by means of public fountains, fountains, pools, and dykes after the Conquest. At that time, wealthy people were virtually competing to go down in history and to acquire merits by building extremely beautiful charitable structures such as these waterworks. Built In 1745, Beşir Ağa Public Fountain Is among 14 fountains Besir Aga built. It is one of the most beautiful examples of this architectural style. The Divanyolu starts from the point where this public fountain and the Million Stone stand. Million Stone (Sultanahmet section p.71) Pudding Shop (Lale Restaurant) (Refreshments section p. 244) Historical Sultanahmet Grilled Meatball Restaurant (Selim the Chef) (Refreshments section p. 246)

Press Museum (Museums section p.39)

Köprülü Külliyesi (Social Complex)

The Koprulu Kulliye is located on the Divanyolu. It was built by Köprülü Mehmet Pasha In 1661. The masjid, madrasah, tomb, fountain, public fountain, library, inn, and shops were placed in a wide area. The big Inn in this small complex shows us that this part was developed commercially in the 17th century. The masjid with eight corners also served as a classroom as a feature of the time. Arcaded and domed rooms of the madrasah surround the masjid in an L-shape. The tomb has eight corners. These corners were supported by pillars. The spaces between the arches are bronze latticed. Here Köprülü Mehmet Pasha, Fazıl Ahmet Pasha and Ayşe Hanım were also buried. The fountain is on the wall of masjid facing the street.

Tomb and Cemetery of Sultan Mahmud The Second

This tomb is located on the corner where the Divanyolu and Babıali Street intersect in Çemberlitaş. It was built by Abdülmecit in 1840 for his father Mahmut the Second. The architect was Karabet Balyan. It was built by Ohannes Dağyan and Boğos Dağyan, in 1840. Later Sultan Abdülaziz and Sultan Abdülhamit the Second were also buried in the tomb of Sultan Mahmud the Second. The tomb is a simple structure in the empire style in an octagonal shape and in a European style. Accessed by steps, the tomb has eight corners and its dome was decorated with garlands and flowers. The interior of the structure is surrounded by marble calligraphy by Mehmet Haşim. It includes a public fountain and a cemetery as well. The tomb of Sultan Mahmud the Second has interesting features with its dome, ensigns and window bars which are distinctive examples of forged iron.