Eminönü

The New Mosque in Eminönü bears the characteristics of 17th century Ottoman architecture. It consists of a külliye, a mosque, a school, a public fountain, hünkar kasrı (the place sultans rest between religious services), a bazaar, and a tomb.

Eminönü is a district behind the city walls of İstanbul that is called “the Historical Peninsula”. There was a building in this district called Gümrük Eminliği (a customs office) in the Ottoman Era and the district got its name from this office. İstanbul was first established in this district. The district is the most crowded area for business life in the afternoon.
 
Yenicamii Külliyesi
The mosque  located in the center of the külliye is the most magnificent sultan mosque near the shore. The construction of the mosque was started by Mimar Davud Ağa in 1597 in the name of Safiye Sultan, the mother of Sultan Mehmed III and the wife of Sultan Murad III.  Dalgıç Ahmed Ağa took over as the architect after 1599.  After 1603 the construction was interrupted when Sultan Ahmed I ascended to the throne. As it was left incomplete and stood useless between Jewish houses for more than half a century, it was publicly called “Zulmiyye” (Tortured). The construction was restarted upon the order of the mother of Sultan Mehmed IV, Hatice Turhan Sultan, in 1661 and was completed in 1663 by Mustafa Ağa as the architect. The külliye consists of a mosque, a school, a public fountain, hünkar kasrı, and a tomb. The school has not survived up to now. As the roads around the mosque were widened later on, the outer courtyard disappeared. There was a beautiful fountain in the direction of the Spice Bazaar in the middle of the interior courtyard which had 18 pillars, 21 domes and three gates. There are two minarets to the right and to the left with three minaret symbols. The mosque is planned as a square structure and it can be entered through three gates. The altar and pulpit are made of white marble and there isa  mosaic panel decorated with precious stones to the left of the altar. The hünkar kasrı, which is said to have been built for Turhan Sultan, is a magnificent structure that bears all the characteristics of the classical Turkish house. Its position allows the viewer to see one of the most beautiful panoramas of İstanbul. It has three rooms and one sitting room. The walls are covered with embroideries and precious glazed İznik tiles. Its wooden pieces are embossed with mother of pearl and ivory. The tomb of Hatice Turhan Sultan, which is included in the külliye, is the biggest burial place of the Ottoman famil,y with the graves of five sultans and many other members of the family.

Spice Bazaar (Mısır Çarşısı)
(Bazaars Section P. 225)




Rüstem Paşa Mosque
This beautiful mosque is in the Straw Weavers Bazaar in Tahtakale in Eminönü. It is situated on a high platform. The area of the mosque has been one of the liveliest areas of the city since the Roman era. The mosque is one of the most famous works of Mimar Sinan. It was ordered by the Grand Vizier Rüstem Paşa, the son-in-law of Sultan Süleyman. In 1561 after the death of Rustem Pasa, the completion of the mosque was ordered by Mihrimah Sultan, his wife. It was damaged in the fire of 1666 and the earthquake of 1776. The big dome in the middle is supported by four semi-domes. The arches of the big dome, which has 24 windows, are supported by eight octagonal elephant feet. The altar and the pulpit are made of marble. The main hall has six pillars and five domes. The original minaret with one minaret sign was destroyed but was reconstructed later.