Kariye Museum

Everyday except Wednesday 09.00-16.30 This church is dated to between the 11th and 14th centuries. Beside its animated outer architecture, the interior mosaics and fresco decorations are masterpieces which are considered to have been the Renaissance of the Byzantine art. The lives of Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary are depicted in the two corridors in the entrance section, as they are described in the Bible. Religious issues are also depicted in frescos in the lateral additional chapel. These also include outstanding figures of the church and the palace. Master artists decorated the building painstakingly under the hard conditions of the 14th century. Theodore Metohides, an important man of state, was the person who ordered the lateral chapel, the outer narthex and other decorations in 1320. Wall paintings are the work of a group of artists. There are mosaics in the interior section of the main church that depict the death of Mary, Mary carrying baby Jesus, and a saint. The whole parekklesion is decorated with frescos. The Revival (Anastasis) seen in the apse is a masterpiece. The Last Trial scene above it is wholly shown here. Mosaics that were located in the upper section of the middle side have not survived up to the present. The Kariye monastery and church became a neighbor to imperial palaces in time and became of more importance. In 1511, Vizier Hadım Ali Paşa turned the building, which was still used as a church after the conquest of İstanbul, into a mosque.

Adress: 
Kariye Museum Edirnekapı-Fatih
Telefon: 
(0212) 631 92 41
No votes yet